Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Bumps In the Road
by author Lois D. Brown

Bumps in the road. Everyone has them. One of my “bumps” turned into my first novel ever— The Saros Curse
In 2009-ish I was diagnosed with having Simple Partial Seizures. These kinds of seizures don’t affect motor skills, but they can affect all five of your senses. In addition they caused me to have MASSIVE déjà vu where time slowed to a crawl and everything around me faded in and out (not to mention my muffled hearing, a metallic taste, and the bright lights). Yeah . . . it was weird.
The diagnosis left me feeling low. It meant medication (probably for life) and the memory loss I’d experienced was permanent. After getting a bunch of tests at the hospital, I went to bed thinking about my situation. That night I had the most vivid dream. It was about a teenage girl who had these frightening feelings of having already experienced things before . . . but in another lifetime.
I woke up and knew I was going to write a book. A novel. For me, that was something new. I had been a journalist and non-fiction ghost author for twenty years. I had always told myself that fiction was out of my league.
Writing the book The Saros Curse  was therapy for me. Sure, the story is fake. Sure, things that happen in the book aren’t real, but in a weird way it helped me come to terms with my own “bump” in the road and move on. Better yet, I learned I LOVED writing fiction. Twenty years of being afraid of writing a novel were gone.
I don’t mean to turn this into a sermon, but if you’re going through a hard time, do what you can to embrace the challenge. For everyone that is something different. For me, it was writing a book.

Lois has kindly offered my readers a free short story:   Death in the Air.  Just click the link.

Where you can follow Lois:
Amazon

Where you can find her books:
Lois D. Brown

No comments: